For the first time the poll also revealed the highest-ranked airports by region, from Europe to North America, South America, Central America & the Caribbean, Asia, Africa & the Middle East and Australasia.
More than 6,000 frequent flyers, flight enthusiasts and aviation geeks took part in this year’s poll, with voting taking place in February and March this year, just before widespread travel restrictions to counter COVID-19 were introduced across the globe.
Adam Twidell, PrivateFly CEO, said: “Many of us have flown less frequently this year, but these ultimate destination landings are a welcome reminder of the uplifting power of travel and aviation – and a jaw dropping inspiration for some memorable future flights. Flying offers the ultimate ringside seat to some of the most incredible views to be seen anywhere around the world.
“Our top ten list for 2020 has been compiled following submissions from aviation enthusiasts around the world, eager to celebrate the most beautiful aerial views from window seats and flight decks, with Donegal deemed unbeatable for the third year in a row.”
Voters praised Donegal’s “stunning varied scenery”, its “beautiful beaches in the vicinity of the airport” and the sweeping views of Mount Errigal and The Rosses on the approach.
Steve O‘Culain, Chairman of Donegal Airport added: “We’re delighted to receive this recognition for the third year. And when they can, we hope more travellers will come and share this beautiful part of the world with us, located in the Gaelic speaking Donegal Gaeltacht on the Wild Atlantic Way. Beidh míle fáilte romhaibh!“
Top ten list of the World’s Most Scenic Airports 2020:
|3||Skiathos (Alexandros Papadiamantis) Airport||Greece|
|4||Orlando (Melbourne) International Airport||USA|
|6||Bora Bora (Motu Mute) Airport||French Polynesia|
|7||St Maarten (Princess Juliana) International Airport||St Maarten|
|8||Praslin Island Airport||Seychelles|
|9||Dubai International Airport||United Arab Emirates|
|10||Nadi International Airport||Fiji|
Regional rankings for 2020
PrivateFly’s annual Scenic Airports poll for 2020 also reveals the top winners by world region:
- In Europe remote Donegal on the Wild Atlantic Way in Ireland offering stunning season-round views, clinched the top position. This is followed in second place by Skiathos (Alexandros Papadiamantis) Airport, on the glittering Greek island of Skiathos; and the unique beach landing of Barra Airport in Scotland in third place.
- In North America, the most scenic airport is Orlando (Melbourne) International Airport in the US, offering amazing views over the deep turquoise waters of Indian River. New York’s JFK Airport is in second place with its eye-catching vistas of Long Island, tree-covered suburbs and superb views of distant Manhattan. Third most popular is Honolulu’s Daniel K. Inouye International Airport, with its incredible views of Hawaii, from nearby palm-fringed beaches at the entrance to Pearl Harbor to the towering green mountains overlooking Honolulu.
- South America, Central America & the Caribbean boasts an abundance of incredibly scenic airports. Topping the 2020 list is St Maarten (Princess Juliana) International Airport, which provides flyers and beach lovers alike with one of the most spectacular landing spots in the world. Close behind is Aruba (Queen Beatrix) International Airport with sweeping views over the Caribbean island of Aruba and Rio de Janeiro (Galeão) International Airport in third position with its eye-popping views over the spectacular Brazilian coast and bustling city of Rio.
- Asia offers a wealth of amazing airports, with Malé (Velana) International Airport providing once-in-a-lifetime views of the exotic islands of the Maldives; and Hong Kong (Chek Lap Kok) International Airport in second place with views of towering Hong Kong and the spectacular man-made island which is home to the new state-of-the-art airport. Third but not least is Kathmandu (Tribhuvan) International Airport offering flyers phenomenal and adrenalin-raising views of mountainous Nepal.
- The top airport for Africa & The Middle East this year is remote Msembe Airstrip in Tanzania with its sweeping vistas of the East African Ruaha National Park. Praslin Island Airport in the Seychelles clinches second place with its dazzling Indian Ocean approach and in third is Dubai International Airport the United Arab Emirates with its view of the 21st-century cityscape rising spectacularly from the desert.
- The natural beauty of Australasia is captured with Bora Bora (Motu Mute) Airport in French Polynesia in first place, with its nearby crystal-clear waters. In close second place was Nadi International Airport in Fiji and its breathtaking approach across the Pacific Ocean. New Zealand’s Queenstown Airport in third, offers flyers an incredible approach over Lake Wakatipu and the Southern Alps mountain range.